Burning a candle can provide so many benefits from the warm glow of a candle light to mood-elevating fragrances to soothe and relax. We’ve compiled a comprehensive checklist to help you prolong the life of your favourite candle. Use correctly and it will help ensure that you maximise the lifespan of your favourite candle.
How to burn a candle
Always burn your candle in a well ventilated area and keep away from drafts or fans which can cause sooting or accelerate burn or cause it to burn unevenly.
How to burn a candle evenly
It is important to remember that the first candle burn is always the most important. In order to maximise the life of your candle it is important on the first burn to be a minimum of 2-3 hours or until the wax has pooled to the edges. Then simply repeat this method for every use. This is how to burn a candle evenly and will ensure that you use up all the wax from the candle. Burning for less can cause the candle to “tunnel” meaning that it’ll leave a building block of wax around the sides.
How to look after your candle throughout its lifetime
Keep the wax pool clear of any debris, dust or matches as this could affect the quality of burn or act as a second wick which means your candle would burn faster.
When using your candle, you may notice that the wick may move or slant. It is important after extinguishing the flame to re-centre your wick so that it will be centralised again once it hardens for the next use.
Candle wick trimming
Before lighting your candle again, check your wick is trimmed to 1/4 inch. Long, crooked wicks can cause high flames, sooting or smoking.
It is best practice to do your candle wick trimming every couple of hours during your burn. By doing this it could help prolong your candle life for up to 25% longer.
How to store you candle
Your candle is made from delicate fragrance notes which should be stored in cool dry places. Cover your candles with a lid if available to protect it from dust or other debris or in a cupboard where it is away from light.
Look out for condensation on the surface of your candle which could be a sign that it has been stored too long. If this happens wipe away the access with a paper towel before lighting.
Storing your candle too long will affect the scent! We always recommend that you make the most of your beautiful fragrance as soon as its purchased.